Ultraviolet (UV) lights are invisible rays of light from the sun that are a leading cause of skin cancer. UV light can also hurt eyes.
Protect yourself from UV light with these tips:
- Wear protective gear outside – UV-block sunglasses, as well as hats and other clothing that cover your skin.
- Wear broad-spectrum sunscreen – an SPF of 15 or higher – on exposed skin.
- Find shade if you spend a long time outside.
- Avoid tanning beds and sun lamps that emit UV light, which can impact both your eyes and skin.
Healthy Ways to Cope with Stress
- Take breaks from news and social media – consider your viewing habits
- Eat healthy, get movement in, and get plenty of sleep.
- Try calming activities – deep breathing, stretching, or meditating.
- Make time to do activities you enjoy, especially outdoors
- Talk to others about how you are feeling or if you have concerns
- Avoid excessive alcohol or drug usage, these can make stress worse.
Seek Support when you need it
Peer Support Warm Line: 1 (866) 771 – 9276
Maine Crisis and Counseling Line: 1 (888) 568 – 1112
Talk to your clinician if you need help and learn more about stress at: www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/about/copingwith-stresstips.html
This month’s slogan is sealants make sense. Sealants are a protective layer on the tooth’s chewing surface. This protection prevents cavities. Ask your child’s dentist if your child can benefit from sealants. School service may be available.
Healthy Dental Habits for Children
- Children should brush their teeth 2x per day.
- Children 3 years and older should use toothpaste with fluoride.
- Ensure your child uses a pea-size amount of toothpaste, and spits it out after brushing.
- Help your child brush so they can learn good brushing skills.
- Floss between teeth daily.
- Visit your dentist regularly to prevent and treat oral diseases.
Learn more about Dental Health at: www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/basics/childrens-oral-health/index.html